Monday, June 20, 2011

Let. It. Be.


One of the most important and influential things I learned in college was from Jim Storey, the head of the SFSU Design department. While teaching my class in Drawing and Visual Thinking, he said "if there is only one thing you take away from this class, it is to learn to put the pencil down 5 minutes before you think you are done." I've cherished that advice all my life, and while, in hindsight, I realize I haven't always followed it, I replay those words as if they were spoken yesterday. This painting is a case in point.

I actually began this painting before the one posted below, but for various reasons, just couldn't seem to bring it to completion. The colors and values evolved as each was applied, as the layers were built, and finally, in the last two sessions, it started to come together. I'm pleased with the rhythm of the design, very much like the rich color saturation, and at one point the other day, set it on the easel, sat back, and Jim Storey's words came to mind: now is the time to stop. Any more fiddling and it would be ruined.

I am also pleased with the direction this latest set of watercolors has taken. I have several sketches from a recent trip that hopefully will continue to explore this "imagined, fantasy landscape".

No comments:

Post a Comment