Monday, July 11, 2011

Sources


The actual painting time of the most recent image took less than a week, as all the elements fell together fairly easily. But various components were pulled together from a variety of sources, over several months.

This was originally sketched back in early June after I returned from a trip to Montana. The gentle "S" curve in the foreground was a pattern that I glimpsed out of the corner of my eye while driving from Missoula to Spokane, somewhere near the Idaho border. A fire road or trail cut its way through the side of the mountain, gently dipping out of sight with each rolling hill. The red roof shapes are taken from a hospital near where I live. After seeing them several times on my bus ride to work, I decided to incorporate them somehow. The "church" facade was taken from an image I saw of a Greek church nestled into the hill side. The foreground hills and colors are heavily rooted in the hills of Northern Marin. Otherwise the colors are a combination of complementary and split complementary, with a hefty dose of "making it up as I go along".

The next one will mark a return to the fronds of recent paintings, this time with the addition of a little abstraction and less literal interpretation. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment